An Epic Life Requires an Epic Attitude
Is it me or does it seem that people are complaining right and left, whether it’s about politics, their job, or something else? I often here this complaining. And, we wonder why we’re not a more happy society. Complainers are annoying to be around, right? Sadly, I used to be one of those people until I changed my own perspective.
What we tend to forget is that, it’s up to us to create the meaning in each day. No one else or thing can do this for us. What do you bring to each day to make it better? We crave an epic lifestyle yet want it handed to us on a silver platter. In order get this epic lifestyle, it’s within us to shift our approach to each day. When we shift our attitude, we shift our life.
So, how do we get an epic attitude? Follow these principles:
- Be grateful – It’s so easy to forget all that we have. Running water, indoor plumbing, a refrigerator, eyes to see and feet and legs to walk. Take a minute and be thankful for 3 things in your life every morning.
- Do a kind gesture – Do something unexpected for someone else and don’t expect anything in return. Whether it’s paying it forward at a local coffee shop or calling a friend to see how their day was, smile at every stranger you pass, are a few ideas to brighten someone’s day.
- Believe you can do it – No matter what the obstacle, the belief that you can figure it out is key to get through the situation. It may be walking or running the extra mile, taking on a new project, eating a new food recipe, or trying to persuade someone to see your perspective. Whatever it is, believe that you can do it. As Theodore Roosevelt said, “Believe you can and your halfway there.”
- Take the courageous leap – By taking a bold step into uncertainty, you’re willing to grow and see what the future holds. This courageous leap opens the door to even more possibilities than you even thought were possible. For example, you decide that your living location needs upgrading. By searching for new neighborhoods, you find one that you didn’t know existed with even more accommodations than you even wanted.
- Learn something new – School doesn’t end once you graduate. Growing and learning is just as much of adulthood as living an apartment or buying a house. Without learning and growing, we would stay stuck as the 22-year old that graduated. Continue to learn new concepts and challenge your own thinking. What will you learn this month? What book will give you new insights?
- Acknowledge the other perspective – Say what? Yes, be willing to listen and learn how others see a problem or situation. You don’t have to agree with the other perspective. Hear them out. Be open to learning something new in the process. It may be learning how to do a something more efficient. For example, we may not agree with corporation X. However, if you learn what they took into account to make a decision, you may learn that something else was a higher priority.
By living these principles, we develop an epic attitude for life and all that it offers. We develop persistence to continue going after our goals and the perseverance to keep going when life throws us a curveball.
Which principle speaks to you the most? And, why? Based on these, what new habit can you start to create an epic attitude for your life?
Wishing you an epic day!
Chief Energy Officer
© Priority Retreats International